Monday, February 25, 2008

Joss Stone Got Soul And Lots Of It



As I sit here, I'm trying to find the words to describe Joss Stone's music; her style; her sound and I'm getting to a point of being perplexed. How can anyone truly describe the sound of this young woman with such a powerful, rich and soulful voice? I'm convinced that she could sing any genre of songs and sound great - rock, pop, r&b, reggae, heavy metal, country....

Joss is the white version of Lauryn Hill. She's a combination of Gladys Knight, Chaka Khan, Eryka Badu and India Arie. She is amazingly versatile.


If you haven't heard the Gimme Shelter remake she did with Angelique Kidjo, then you need to. Whenever I listen to that song or see the video, I just don't want it to end.

Joss was given the gift to sing and it's a gift that she obviously has no intention of wasting. The girl is talented. Couple this with her being deeply grounded and you've got a rare and valuable combination which guarantees success. She is so earthy and homey, it's not funny. The girl is like a breath of fresh air.


In a world where it has become common, for an album to contain 12 or more songs with only 3 or 4 worth listening to, She has broken the mode. When you put any of her albums on all you've got to do is press play and lay back and soak up the rich sultry goodness.


I almost always sample albums before buying/ordering, but Joss Stone is one of those singers who's album I pre-order. I don't need to get a sample, she was born to sing and will only get better. Thank you Joss for restoring my faith in buying and enjoying an entire album.


My absolute favorite song (thus far) is Tell Me What We're Gonna Do Now - she collaborated with Common.


Her full name is Joscelyn Eve Stoker and she was born in England on 11 April 2007. Her career took off back in 2003 when she released her debut album The Soul Sessions. She released Mind, Body & Soul a year later. Both albums earned multi-platinum status. Her third album, Introducting Joss Stone was released in March of 2007 and acheived gold status. This album is my favorite thus far. Did I mention that this woman also writes most of her songs? Well she does!

So far has sold over ten million albums worldwide, and has won two BRIT Awards and one Grammy Award. At the 2005 BRIT Awards, Stone was nominated for "British Breakthrough Act", and won "British Female Solo Artist" and "British Urban Act", entering the Guinness World Records for being the youngest BRIT Award solo winner at age seventeen.


Get more on Joss and sample some of her music here: http://www.jossstone.com/. You can also check her out on myspace www.myspace.com/jossstone.


Joss, you rock; you really do and I'm proud of you. I am anxiously awaiting your next album.


Oh yeah; one more thing - she keeps a journal and shares it with her fans on ther site. How fucking cool is that? When she's on tour, we get to know what she's eating, how she's feeling and all that.