Friday, July 18, 2008

Kat Von D is Legend!



Will Smith 'thinks' he's legend and probably would like to be legend, but if you want an example of a real legend then look no further than Kat Von D.


Damn right! Katherine Von Drachenberg IS l-e-g-e-n-d! She's got mad skills. She's an immaculate artist. She's a creative genius. Her talent is of epic proportions. Her skill is boundless; there seems to be an eternal spring of creative juices that flow within and through her.


(a sample of her work)


But wait! I think I'm getting ahead of myself. I was so excited about this master of the arts that I just launched right into my tidal wave of praise. So let me back up a bit. "Who the hell is this woman?", some might be asking. Well you definitely must have an idea now since I've plastered pics of her above and ranted about her artistic skills.


Katherine Von Drachenberg is a Mexican born American tattoo artist. She was born in Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico on March 8, 1982 and moved to the United States at the age of four. Kat has two siblings - a brother Michael and a sister Karoline. She's also a television personality - a featured artist on TLC's Miami Ink and subsequently the star of LA Ink (August of 2007).


Her mom and dad were born in Argentina however, her father René von Drachenberg is of German descent and her mother, Sylvia Galeano has Italian roots. She created her first tattoo at the age of 14 when she made a skull logo for the Misfits (a punk band). She started working professionall in 1998 at Sin City Tattoo. She honed her skills over the years and eventually moved to True Tattoo where she got to work with tattoo greats Clay Decker and Chris Garver.


So now that you're officially acquainted, allow me to get back to my rant. Don't smack me for what's coming (although I deserve a good wallop upside the head), but in as much as I swore I'd never mention this name on my blog - e-v-e-r, I think you'll forgive me for it (based on the circumstances under which it's being mentioned). Paris Hilton, you have no idea what 'hot' is! Kat Von D IS **h-o-t** hot! (I cannot believe I mentioned that name that should never have been named. Alas, it's all in the name of paying tribute to one who is deserving so that makesit a lot easier to bear)


What? You don't believe me? Well take a look!

Well? Huh? What? Still not convinced?


What more do you need?

Ok. Ok... one final shot then. And if this doesn't do it, then go get either your head or your eyes examined. ¡Caliente maldita!




Not only does she have mad skills, she can definitely cause heads to turn and not because she's all inked up either. Shit! If you like ink, then not only will your tongue be dragging, you'll be cleaning up brain matter off the ceiling as well. Yeah Paris, "Kat's hot!"


When I think of Von D, these words and terms come to mind: pioneer, tigress, bad-ass chick from the Moul... I mean Miami Ink or should that be Mexico - damn it, I just hate when I get confused.

She's a badmother(shutyourmouth) b*t*h and I mean b*t*h in the nicest most respectable way!


One of the things I admire about her is that she has excelled, no - make that, she has exceeded any and all expectations in a field that's widely perceived to be 'a man's world'. She did it by being thorough, relentless in her pursuits, by exhibiting exceptional work ethics, by being perpetually enthusiastic about what she does, by pouring her all into every single piece of work that she creates and tapping into her extraordinary reserve of artistry that she possesses and seems to come naturally. It's quite evident that Von D is gifted.

She is by far one of the busiest artist in Los Angeles. Don't believe me, try to get an appointment with her. Don't take my word for it, go check it out. She's ALWAYS completely booked with a long waiting list further than the eyes can see. Her list clientele range from all walks of life and is as vast as it can be. She designs (skate) boards for Margera, Chad Muska, and Mike Vallely.

She has appeared in music videos, on TV shows including Tom Green's House Tonight, Jimmy Kimmel Live, The Ellen Degeneres Show and Late Night with David Letterman. She was also featured in the 2008 book Permanence: Tattoo Portraits by artist Kip Fulbeck.

Von D works with Vitaman Angels, a non-profit organization that works to prevent child blindness caused by vitamin deficiencies. She recently joined forces with Sephora to design her own brand of makeup products.



Don't you dare look at me in that way young lady!

You just stop it right now!

Right this minute!


If you keep looking at me like that why I'll.... I'll.... I'll.....


Why I'll need to go get some iced tea, or ice cream or ice bath or something!

Kat you rock! Keep on rocking with your bad self!

[P.S. Most of the images can be enlarged by clicking on them]