Thursday, August 28, 2008

Country Sure Looks Good To Me: Reba McEntire


So here we are into day 4. I have to admit that I've been kinda slightly agonizing over sitting down and preparing this one. One reason is that I'm kinda not feeling the 'blogging/writing' thing today. I'm feeling kinda out of sync. I think Shania's partly to blamed for some of this; after all that excitement, some of my energy has been drained.


Another reason is that Reba fits into a lot of categories that I can think of, so to place her in just one poses a bit of a challenge. And since I'm not in a particular frame of mind, the last thing I need is a challenge no matter how minor. You'll notice that although this is my country's looking good theme that I've also added the Timeless Thursday label as well.


Reba certainly fits the bill. She's been in the country music business for some 33 years. There's one thing I want to just throw in here, something that became quite clear since embarking on this country quest. And that is: if you're looking for some of the most amazing and hard-working women in the world, then country is where they're at.


Seriously. I'm not kidding. I'd be quite surprised and disappointed if anyone were to tell me that this week's blogs have not made you go 'wow, or damn,or that's amazing, or that's great...'. Women in the country music industry work hard as hell.


Her early life reads very much like that of most other women of country. She grew up on a farm, comes from a familiar of ropers, ranchers, etc, etc. Oh yeah, she also comes from a family with a musical background. She and two of her siblings (a brother and sister) formed The Singing McEntires in their early years.




Reba Nell McEntire is a country singer, she's an awesome performer and she's also an actress. She's a native of McAlester, Oklahoma. Reba's often referred to as the 'Queen of Country' and for one thing it's quite a fitting title to bestow upon her. She has paid her dues; she's earned it.


Here's proof that I'm not just pouring it all on because of favoritism. Of 31 albums so far, she's sold over 55 million copies worldwide. She's now tied with Dolly Parton for a record of having of 24 number 1 hits!


McEntire was the first woman to have the highest grossing concert tour in country music. In 1995 she was inducted into the Western Performers Hall of Fame at the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum and has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.


Of her 40 albums (inclusive of 3 Holiday, 2 Live and 11 compilations albums) she's got 5 gold, 6 platinum, 2 double-platinum, 4 triple-platinum, 1 quadruple-platinum and 1 quintuple-platinum certified albums.


To date, Reba's the recipient of 74 music awards. Yes, seventy-four and you know she's not done yet! Included in the 74 are 2 Grammys, 6 Country Music, 13 Academy of Country Music, 16 American Music and 10 People's Choice Awards.




Some of my favorite quotes from Reba are:
"You don't waste your entire life waiting to go back to dust."
"Being a strong woman is very important to me. But doing it all on my own is not."
"To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funny bone."
"Be different, stand out, and work your butt off."




Her latest album Duets was released on September 18, 2007 and is a compilation of duets performed with some of the major names in the business. Faith Hill, LeAnn Rimes and Carole King are some of the verterans in the business who sing along with Reba. Some up and coming newer artists are featured as well - Justin Timberlake and Kelly Clarkson. Her duet with Clarkson Because of You (a remake of Clarkson's song) gave her her 24th single which brought her levelled with Parton for the singles record.



Country really rocks! And go ahead and admit it. You are feeling country aren't you? You know you are.




Did I mention that this woman's 53 years old?


Fabulous!