Monday, January 19, 2009

Jennifer Aniston: The Girl Next Door



There is something about Jennifer Joanna Aniston that says 'girl next door'. Something about her look that hints at her being a 'plain Jane'. Something that says, 'I'm just you're ordinary dorm neighbor. I'm quirky, and goofy ,and a lot of fun, and I don't ever think about my looks and I definitely don't think I'm hot'.






You know what; I do see all those things when I look at Aniston and when I see her on television. It's all there and I don't think I'm the only one who sees these things. Am I? Say you see it too; say that it is so. If you don't I'll feel like a total ass, OK, I won't really, but damn it's good to have supporters.






By now, you must know that I have more to say about Miss Aniston though, right? Of course you do. If you've been following my blogs, you would have figured by now that I have a lot more on my mind to share about my loyal subject.






She was born on February 11, 1969 to actors John Aniston (the infamous or should that be famous Victor Kiriakis - Days of Our Lives) and Nancy Dow. She is definitely most widely known for her role as Rachel Green in Friends. A role she played in 238 episodes for the period 1994-2004. A role which earned her an Emmy Award, a Golden Globe Award and a Screen Actors Guild Award.






Despite the fact that Jennifer could very easily be labelled a dork, there is no denying that Aniston is a gorgeous, sexy, attractive and desirable beauty. In fact, I think the 'just below the surface' geeky aura adds to her sex appeal. Playful and dorky can be very sexy. Don't believe me; take Tina Fey as a classic example. Or even Amy Poehler. Playful, dorky and smart can definitely equal sex appeal when combined in the right way. Aniston has certainly got the right combination of all three.






I like Aniston's humor. What I like more is the way she handles her private life. What I truly admire in particular is the way in which she handled her separation and eventually her divorce from Brad Pitt. I do not throw my admiration around easily; but I surely admire the mature way in which she handled herself.






Like any divorce, especially a public one involving anyone of celebrity status and more so someone who the media loves to follow around, it could not have been easy. Yet she handled it with grace and dignity and kept her character in tact. That says quite a lot about the woman.






If you have not seen her in Friends, then you have definitely missed her at some of her very best moments. I still watch reruns to this day. You might have seen her in Picture Perfect, The Object of My Affection, The Good Girl, Along Came Polly or Bruce Almighty (I loved her in this film; it's one of my favorites - not the movie itself but her performance).






More recently you might have caught her in Derailed, Friends With Money and Marley & Me which was released on Christmas Day 2008. I doubt that I will even try to see this movie, it is just too reminiscent of You, Me & Dupri. The movie paired her with Owen Wilson and Eric Dane (Dr. McSteamy of Grey's Anatomy). He's Just Not That Into You is slated for release on February 6, 2009 and filming of Traveling has been completed. No release date has been set as yet for her last project.






Before landing the role on Friends, Aniston had a number of failed projects which left her considering the option of pursuing a career other than acting. She and fellow female costars of Friends made it into the Guinness World Book of Records in 2005 for being the highest paid TV actress of all time for earning a $1 million-per-episode paycheck for the tenth season of the show.






So far in her career she has won 21 awards and has had an additional 40 nominations. Besides the before mentioned awards she has also won a Hollywood Film Festival, a Logie Award, 5 People's Choice Award, a TV Guide Award and 4 Teen Choice Awards.






Aniston is a supporter of a number of charities including Friends of El Faro, St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital and the "It Can't Wait" campaign to free Burma.