Monday, February 9, 2009

Naomi Watts Can Light Up A Dark Room



Testing, testing, 1-2-3. Ahem. Ladies and gents please indulge me as I lead you in an experiment. What experiment? Well my twisted mind has convinced me that Naomi Watts is so luminously hot that she can light up a dark room.




"You're nuts!" I hear you say. Me! Nuts! How dare you! Well, when I think about it (and all the other crazy notions I have on a daily basis), you might just be right. But despite that teeny tiny fact, for all you know I might just very well be the next Einstein right.






So here's the deal... Take a picture of Naomi, step into the den, bedroom or any other room of your choice, draw the curtains (if it's not dark or you could wait until it is), place the picture in the middle of the room (or you could just hold in out in front of your face) then cut the lights off.










I'm not going to ask if it worked that way you won't ask me and prove that I belong in a loony asylum . I am just going to continue on the assumption that the experiment was successful. And just in case (and believe me that possibility is just about 0.1 %) that it did not work, look at it this way - picture Watts in that dark room with you. Now I bet that's enough to get some heat, if not light, going. Right? Right. See, you can trust me, I won't steer you wrong.






As you can very well see, things at Slym Pickings had slowed down some. And we have this dreaded thing called work and responsibilities to darn well blame! I promise I will do my best to update my site as often as I can. There are days that allow me to do this 5 days per week, sometimes twice per week and lately not even once per week as proven by last week. But back to more pleasant things.






Naomi Ellen Watts is a British-Australian actress. She was born in Kent, England but has Australian heritage through her grandmother. She developed a desire to become an actress after watching the movie Fame. This motivated her to attend several acting schools in Australia and one of her former classmates is actress Nicole Kidman.






She began her career doing TV commercials and performing bit parts in a few Australian television series. In making her transition to Australia to the U.S. obtained several minor roles including Sleepwalkers, Babe: Pig in the City (voice) and Children of the Corn IV.






Her breakthrough role came in 2001 when she was cast as Betty Elms / Diane Selwyn in David Lynch's highly acclaimed Mulholland Drive. Her performance earned her the National Society of Film Critics Award for Best Actress and the National Board of Review Award for Breakthrough Performance of the year.








Watts followed up her success of 2001 a year after when she landed the starring role in The Ring. The filmed turned out to be one of the biggest box office hits of that same year. And in 2003 she kept on building on her achievements by earning her first Academy Award nomination for her performance in 21 Grams opposite Sean Penn and Benicio del Toro.






She is dubbed by the press as "queen of remakes" because she has become well known for starring in quite a number of remakes throughout her career thus far. Other films include The Ring Two (2005), Inland Empire (2006) (voice of Suzie Rabbit), The Painted Veil (2006), Funny Games U.S. (2007) and The International (2009). Future films include King Lear (2010) - pre-production, Need (2009) - pre-production and Mother and Child (2010) - filming.






Tidbits
Was named one of the 50 Most Beautiful People by People Magazine in 2002.
Featured on the cover of the Australian Empire Magazine March 2003 for Women of the Year 2002.






Ranked #76 on Forbes 2005 Power in Entertainment List.
Named #2 in the French edition of FHM magazine's "100 Sexiest Women in the World 2006".
Voted the 14th Sexiest Female Movie Star in the Australian Empire Magazine September 2002




Accepted the role for 21 Grams without reading the script first.
Was Fernando Meirelles's first choice for the role of Tessa Quayle in The Constant Gardener (2005), but she declined due to her commitment to King Kong. (A movie which turned out to be the worst of her career so far)






Turned down the role of "Susan Storm" (Invisible Girl) in Fantastic Four
Enjoys martial arts and trained Judo for a long time. She participated in amateur Judo championships through the early 90s, from 1989 to 1992. Nowadays, she trains in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.








I love the way that Watts is able to pull off that classy, sexy 60s / 70s look.