Monday, May 26, 2008

Leona Lewis - British Phenom



When I first saw the title of Leona Lewis's single "Bleeding Love", I thought to myself - What the hell? That doesn't make any sense. But then I listened to it and man did it ever after that. It's one of my favorite songs that I listen to right now. It's # 2 on my playlist and it's always repeated.


When I need to work - I put it on, when I need to concentrate - I put it on, when I need to relax - I put it on, when I need to be reminded that there are still songs still being made in the world today that can reach down inside you and touch your soul - I put it on. So in essence, I listen to the song a whole hell of a lot (as if that wasn't already blatantly obvious).

The song is truly deep. What makes it even more touching is the fact that Lewis has such a soulfully powerful voice as well. Listening to a song and 'feeling' it while listening is one thing. It's quite another thing altogether when you see the video and said video is almost perfect.

A video can either make or break a song. I have had quite a lot of experience with songs that I didn't care for on hearing them, but seeing the video made it different for me and vice versa. Leona certainly got it right on both counts.


Lewis has come a long way from X Factor. Yes, this 23 year old British phenom is off to an awesomely smashing start and her future looks oh so bright. I'd try to list her numerous accomplishments for you but that would be too time consuming so instead I've extracted this information directly from wikipedia. Feel free to click on the link for even more info.

Leona Louise Lewis (born 3 April 1985) is a British singer and winner of the third series of The X Factor UK television talent show. Her UK debut single, "A Moment
like This", was released in December 2006, breaking a world record after it was downloaded over 50,000 times within 30 minutes.


Her second single, "Bleeding Love", was the biggest-selling single of 2007 in the United Kingdom, topped over thirty national singles charts and became a number one single on the first week in France on March 22 and number one in the US on
April 5, 2008. Her debut album, Spirit, was released in Europe in November 2007, and became the fastest-selling debut album ever in both the United Kingdom and Ireland. Released in North America in April 2008, Spirit debuted at number one in the US Billboard 200 chart and made Lewis the first British artist to top the chart
with a debut album.


With her album reaching number one in at least three continents and nine countries, Lewis has had the most successful launch of any television talent
show contestant ever.

On 27 March 2008, "Bleeding Love" became number one in the United World
Chart.



If you look up the definition of the most perfect skin tone ever in the dictionary, there you'll find a picture of Leona Lewis. She inherited this perfect hue from her parents Aural Josiah, an Afro-Caribbean Guyanese, and Maria Lewis, of Welsh descent.

I'm certainly looking forward to great things from her.

And damn it, if the woman is not as fine as aged wine.

And talk about provocative, ooh.



And smooth...




And sensual...




*sigh...*


P.S. I think what I like most about Leona is that she has her own sound. It's difficult to compare her music to any other artiste. Besides Bleeding Love, Better In Time, I Will Be, I'm You, Yesterday and Here I Am are just absolutely beautiful and soulful. Leona's rich, clear, pure vocals is particularly accentuated on these tracks. This album is an integral and totally welcomed addition to my CD collection.