Monday, October 20, 2008

Juliette Can I Be Your Romeo



Juliette Binoche (pronounced Bee-nosh) has got to be by far one of the most loved French actresses in the biz today. She is adored by her fellow French natives. Moreover she is very much adored by her international fans as well.


The fact of the matter is all the love shown to Binoche is well deserved; it's love and admiration that she has earned. One of the things I like most about her is her patriotism. Throughout her career she has been sort after by many international film makers and more times than not she has turned down not only great rolls but substantial salaries as well so that she could make movies in her beloved homeland. I truly admire that.


When she does venture on foreign soil to be a part of movies there, you can me that more often than not, those movies are quite successful. Whenever I think of Binoche a smile crosses my lips. Why? I'm kinda still trying to figure it out but I know a major part of the reason is just how darn cute and adorable this woman is at the age of 44. Whenever I behold her I just want to give her a nice big hug and rock her in my arms a little.


Now despite her cute cuddly demeanor, Binoche is definitely sexy. This sexiness she has portrayed in quite a number of her movies. And knowing my whorish nature, that cute hug would undoubtedly turn into something else after about the first minute and a half of holding her.


Case in point, take her role in Dan in Real Life. Specifically the shower scene where Dan's daughter comes into the room to have a heart to heart with her forcing Dan to have to duck into the shower for cover. Binoche herself has to then get into said shower (after undressing of course) because why else would she be in the shower if not to take one. So as the daughter talks she gets into the shower (with Dan - Steve Carell) and has to place her hand over her mouth to keep from laughing at a now drenched Dan.


She was so cure in that scene and at the same time so hot cause she's naked and 'wet' and all I wanted to do was push my hand in through my screen pull Dan's ass out and take his damn place (after kicking the daughter out of the bathroom). *inside blushes here although I feel no shame*





In 1996 when The English Patient was released I experienced sheer bliss! Some creative genius decided to cast Binoche along with Kristin Scott Thomas in the same movie proving unequivocally that there is a god! Seriously, it doesn't get much better than that! KST and Binoche; yes heaven! *insert contented sigh here and a dreamy smile as well*. Binoche won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for her performance in the film in 1997 making her the second French actress to win an Oscar at the time.


Other films which brought her international acclaim include Emily Brontë's Wuthering Heights, Damage, Three Colors: Blue, The Unbearable Lightness of Being, The Horseman on the Roof, Dan in Real Life, In My Country, Cache and the renown Chocolat.


Over the years Binoche has starred in a string of movies most of which have won, been nominated for and have earned her several nominations as well as award wins. Her work include Rendez-vous, La Veuve de Saint-Pierre, Jet Lag, Bee Season, Mary, A Few Days in September, Breaking and Entering, Le Voyage du Ballon Rouge, Paris, L'Heure D'été and Désengagement. Up-coming movies include Shirin, Une autre forme de silence [Another Kind of Silence] (pre-production) and Copie conforme [Certified Copy] (pre-production).


So far in her career she has had 13 award wins and an additional 19 nominations. Her wins include her Oscar for The English Patient, European Film, National Board of Review, Venice Film Festival, Berlin Film Festival and BAFTA Film Awards.


Binoche is of French, Brazilian, Flemish and Morrocan descent. Besides acting she is an avid painter. The paintings her the 1991 film Les Amants du Pont-Neuf were her own and she exhibited her work in 1993 in collaboration with the French designer and artist Christian Fenouillat.


Accomplishments & Tidbits:
Chosen by Empire magazine as one of the 100 Sexiest Stars in film history (#48) (1995).
Chosen by People magazine as one of the 50 Most Beautiful People in the World (1997).
Ranked #93 in Empire (UK) magazine's The Top 100 Movie Stars of All Time list (October 1997).


She is the highest paid French actress in history (2002).
Was nominated for Broadway's 2001 Tony Award as Best Actress (Play) for a revival of Harold Pinter's Betrayal.


Appeared in her first Playboy spread aged 43 in the November 2007 French edition.
She returned as the face of Lancome perfume Poeme in January 2008 after an 8 year break.
Nelson Mandela is the public figure she most admires.


Personal quotes:
Acting is like peeling an onion. You have to peel away each layer to reveal another.


I want to make films that are political and social. Films with a message or an idea. Films that dare to ask.


If a star is someone who gives light, then I can be a star. But if a star is someone who goes after money and magazine covers then it's sick and I don't want it!


I have been proposed to four times. Twice at the beginning of a relationship and twice at the end of a relationship. I've never said no. I just didn't give an answer!


Going to South Africa (Country of My Skull 2004) has changed me utterly. I have seen and heard about acts of cruelty and hatred which are hard to comprehend. But I've also seen peace and tranquility like nowhere else on earth.


Binoche supports a number of charities. She is a sweet, humble and sexy woman. Which leaves only one question to be asked; "Juliette, can I be your Romeo?"