Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Shakira Shakira Ay Mamacita



If Shakira's hips lie, then Bob's my uncle, my gym partner's a monkey, George has left the jungle and I had a 3Way last night with Alyssa Milano and Janet Jackson before going home to Jill Bennett.


Now since none of the above are true (except for the 3Way and going home to Jill which I had in a dream but it felt so real that I consider it to be true. And besides, since it's destined to happen, it's as good as gold).


Shakira and her hips are the truest things since Snow White was awakened by the kiss of a prince, Beauty tamed the Beast and Shrek and Fiona had kids.


Belly Dancing was taught to her by her Lebanese grandmother as a way for her to stay true to and uphold her middle eastern roots. So in this regard, I would like to let Shakira know that she is compelled... I mean expected to have a beautiful daughter or 2 or 3 and teach them the art as to ensure that the family's heritage is preserved.


Further, I would like to take this opportunity to thank Shakira's grandmother for a job well done. So picture me standing on a chair, inspirational and fitting music in the background, reciting the following (in true Tyson's Chicken commercial style):


"Shakira's grandma, I want to thank you from the front, side, top and bottom of my heart for teaching your granddaughter the art of Belly Dancing. She has brought me, as well as so many other men and women, such great pleasure beyond our imagination as a result. It would be remiss of me to not thank Shakira's mom who has but one child for bringing this treasure into the world. So thank you Shakira's mom and grandma." (And with that, the music is cut and I return to the PC to finish this blog.)


Shakira Isabel Mebarak Ripoll was born on February 2, 1977 in Barranquilla, Colombia. She is is of Colombian, Spanish, Italian and Lebanese descent and is the only child of Nidya del Carmen Ripoll Torrad. Shakira is a singer, songwriter, musician, record producer dancer and philanthropist of international fame. She is fluent in English, Brazilian Portuguese, Spanish, Arabic, French and Italian. Shakira means "thankful" and her second name (of her grandma) Isabel means "beautiful".


Shakira is the highest-selling Colombian artist of all time and have won numerous Latin as well as other worldwide award and hold a few other records as well. Her awards include 2 Grammy Awards, 7 Latin Grammy Awards, 15 Billboard Music Awards, 3 MTV Video Music Awards and 1 People's Choice Award.


By age 4 Shakira knew that she wanted to be a belly dancer and developed a passion for performing live in school as she would perform a new dance she'd learned every Friday for her classmates.


Philanthropy and humanitarian work
In
1997, Shakira founded the Pies Descalzos Foundation a Colombian charity with special schools for poor children all around Colombia.


Shakira continuously performs at a large number of benefit concerts.


She is a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador and is one of their global representatives.


Shakira was recently ranked at number 48 on the list of Top 50 Most Charitable Celebrities by OK! magazine. It reported that she donates approximately $55,000 to charity yearly.


In September 28, 2007 it was revealed that Shakira's newest charity - ALAS Foundation (America Latina en Accion Solidaria - Latin America for Solidarity), donated $40 million to help the victims of natural disasters.


In December 2007, Shakira visited Bangladesh to appeal for the victims of Cyclone Sidr.
Shakira is to be the Honorary Chair for Action Week 2008 (April 21 to 28). The event is put together by the Global Campaign for Education to generate awareness about the Education for All Act. Angelina Jolie served as last year's chair.


Studio albums
1996:
Pies Descalzos
1998:
¿Dónde Están los Ladrones?
2001:
Laundry Service (Servicio De Lavanderia)
2005:
Fijación Oral Vol. 1 / Oral Fixation Vol. 2
2008/9:
Forthcoming studio album


Tidbits
Lists John Lennon as her #1 musical influence.
Has homes in the Bahamas, Miami, Barranquilla-Colombia and Uruguay.

Named #20 in FHM magazine's "100 Sexiest Women in the World 2006" supplement. (2006).


Is a huge fan of Bollywood movies and music from India. She got in touch with
Farah Khan, the most famous choreographer in India, and asked her if she could choreograph a dance for her performance at the 2006 MTV Video Awards. That night, her performance was the most memorable one as she sang and danced to 'Hips Don't Lie' in traditional Indian clothing.
Her first tape was Donna Summers' Bad girls.



Personal Quotes
The worst mistake of a woman is to go to the kitchen, because then she never gets out of there.



My brain, I believe, is the most beautiful part of my body.


People think I like to expose my body. But I don't. It's just because the dance moves require it.


You can laugh, but since I was a child I knew that I was going to be a well- known singer/songwriter; that was something I had no doubts about. It was almost like a prophecy.
I love reading about history. Sometimes, I feel I was born in the wrong era. There was more creativity in the air when people were still discovering new worlds.


I expect my beloved to be kind, generous, I expect him not to lie so I can look him straight in the eyes, and I expect him to fall in love with me 10 times a day.


I think my dad is the only Arabic descendant who is an unsuccessful businessman.


I think I look like a chipmunk. (Yeah Right!)


I cannot expect that I will be successful my whole life. We live so caught up in the moment, it's important to get some perspective. Ultimately, I know I've been very lucky.



My belly dancing represents me - it's a trademark. I've tried to incorporate it in original ways in modern songs. But sometimes it bugs me a bit that people resort to (saying) that I'm shaking my ass with a huge sexual charge, instead of recognizing it as a move that, yeah, it's loaded with sensuality, but it's also part of an artistic expression. (All I read/heard/saw was 'huge sexual charge')


I want to learn how to live in the present with my eyes open. Because, you know, we always go through the present blindfolded with our hearts in the past and our minds in the future. And that way we never enjoy the here and now.


I always believed that women have rights and that there are some women that are intelligent enough to claim those rights. There are some others that are stupid enough not to. It is as cut-and dried as that. It doesn't matter if you are a woman or not; in this life, to earn your place you have to fight for it.


I'm not a model for anyone and the truth is, I never even tried a hit of pot. I'm not saying that I've never ever felt curious, but I feel that if I were doped up I would not even be able to smell, or eat, or breathe, or sing. And I don't want to start using crutches when I know that I can walk. Drug addiction is a loss of freedom.