Friday, April 25, 2008

This And That



Just wanted to throw out a few blog worthy tidbits. First off:

Chalk another one up for Mariah!! I know that by now I'm beginning to sound like a broken record or some star-struck Mariah fanatic but deal with it. E=MC² has given Carey a new personal career record. The album has given her her highest grossing first week sales to date having sold 463,000!! Go Mariah! And just let me say that if you are not one of the 463,000, go out and get the darn thing already! No, I'm not a spokesperson for Mariah. No, Mariah doesn't even know that exist. I'll go as far to mention that I'm not really a Mariah fan. However, I'm a fan of good music and Mariah has been making good music from the onset of her career.


The fantastic Amy Poehler gave a short interview on Bloomberg TV last night and was up to her comical ways as usual. She was interviewed about her new movie with Tina Fey Baby Mama which opens today. When asked about her husband she responded that she was married to George Clooney. She admitted that she's now ready for more in depth (comedic) roles but promises to remain 'short and loud' as in SNL style.


Star Jones has filed for divorce. So what makes this blog worthy you ask. It's not so much the act but it's more about a response that Rosie O'Donnell made when asked if she expected that the marriage would not have lasted. Rosie's response was to the effect that 'some people tend to fool themselves'. And again I say, this woman needs to know when to just sit down and shut up! Belief it or not, that age old adage of 'if you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all' can be quite appropriate at times.


How bout my girl Tina Fey huh!! How bout her? If you caught 30 Rock last night, then you can't a damn good show; but that's the norm - no surprise there. I was laughing so hard, I almost fell off my chair. "Your starting salary will be this." (followed by a good wallop across the face). It was funny enough when Fey did it to Baldwin, but when she put it to her colleague and he did it to her!!! OMG, it was the funniest thing ever! After being smacked, her response was "I know (right)". The woman is out-of-this-world awesomely funny! It was the highlight of the show for me right there. I'm gonna be LMAO at that for the rest of the weekend.


My Girl Janet J is making preparations for a world tour to promote her latest album Discipline. The tour is set to kick off on September 11 and should take her to Australia, Asia, Europe and Africa. And as I reported in a previous blog, she will be receiving the Vanguard Award at the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation's (GLAAD) 19th Annual Media Awards being held tomorrow (April 26th). Ellen Degeneres will be presenting her with the award. I must express disappointment with this album though. Yes, I said it. I was highly anticipating it's release, but the only tunes that I like off the album is Never Letchu Go and Feedback. It could be that it hasn't grown on me as yet; but I'm really not 'feeling' this one J.

I don't watch Ugly Betty often; I just catch a few shows here and there. In fact, I don't watch TV often. However, I can tell you that I thoroughly enjoyed last night's episode. The most enjoyable part for me was the scenes between Gabrielle Union and Vanessa Williams. Those two need to get it on! (Get your minds out of the gutter. Well actually my mind went there too but that's not what I meant). They play sisters on the show who's got real strong rivalry going on. The chemistry between the two is superb. They play the roles perfectly. I can just see them engaged in a cat fight or two. I would so love to see them playing major roles in a movie or two down the line.


Williams plays Wilhelmina Slater - Diva fashionista, who was passed over for Editor-in-Chief position in favor of Daniel; will do anything to get the job she feels entitled to. She reported that she is also working on a new studio album. I can't wait!


Union plays Renee.

P.S. I had to come back and add one other thing. I have come to the realization that it's been a while since I've been this excited about music. There has just been one too many disappointing releases over the past few years. I just wanted to thank the artists who have 'brought it back' for me. I won't get into it now but there's one artist who I would like to mention right here. For a while now I have been trying to quell some deep rooted Rihanna love but I can hold it back any longer? Why? I had it under control right up until I heard "Take A Bow". This song released the floodgates and now there's no turning back. I LOVE this song with a passion and I won't start (at least not now) gushing about the singer of song. I just want to say, "Thank you for the music Ri. Stay grounded and just keep doin what you're doin'"