Monday, November 17, 2008

Penélope Cruz: The "Eyes" Have It



For some reason I have this compelling compulsion to dub today Hottie Monday. Seriously it is difficult to be blogging about this hottie on any other given day than a Hottie Friday. So once again I have a slight dilemma on my hands. Penélope Cruz Sánchez is an ideal candidate for a hottie of the week.








I might as well come right out and confess it, I have a huge crush on Cruz; I really do. And when I think of the many things that I love about her, I think it is indisputable that I love her eyes most. Yes, the eyes definitely have it.








When I look at her eyes I see passion within. I see fiery desire burning beneath the surface. I see inner strength. I see a survivor. I see the will to succeed no matter what. I see that she has been through some struggles.






Yes, there is some sadness that lies within her eyes, however right along with the hurt there is something that says 'I will overcome'. I also see some playfulness - she looks like someone who would readily pull a prank on you and roll on the floor with laughter once you fell prey to the prank.








Cruz has a flawless face. It is important to point out here that I did not say that 'I think' she has a flawless face. I said she 'has'. You can dispute it all you want; I'm sticking to my proclamation. There are countless beautiful women with gorgeous faces, but there are not that many whose facial features are perfect.








Another thing that really gets my adrenaline going is Cruz's silky, raven-black, healthy flowing hair. Ah yes....*insert dreamy sighs here*. I love her hair. Of course, she has added highlights over the years but I prefer it beautifully black.











She was born in Madrid, Spain on April, 28, 1974 to Encarna Sánchez (a hairdresser) and Eduardo Cruz (a retailer and auto mechanic). She spent her early years studying ballet at the National Conservatory of Spain and trained for several years more under some very prominent Spanish dancers. She is fluent in Spanish, Italian, French and English.










She is probably best known in Spain for her roles in Jamón, jamón and Belle Époque. To the rest of the world she is very likely best known for her roles in Volver, Bandidas, Head in the Clouds, Vanilla Sky, All the Pretty Horses and Woman on Top. Her role this year in Woody Allen's Vicky Cristina Barcelona has received rave reviews and it is widely believed that this role will earn her her second Academy Award nomination.








Cruz has three movies slated for 2009: Abrazos rotos, Los (post-production), G-Force where she will voice the character of Juarez (post-production) and Nine (filming). I am particularly looking forward to Nine not only because of a very interesting plot but also because of the great ensemble cast. Cruz is cast with fellow actresses Nicole Kidman, Dame Judi Dench, Kate Hudson, Marion Cottilard, Stacy Ferguson and Sophia Loren. The movie is slated for release on 11 December 2009.








So far in her career she has won 18 awards and garnered an additional 27 nominations. Her wins include a Best Actress ensemble award at the Cannes Film Festival, a Cinema Writer's Circle Award for Best Actress (Volver), an Empire Award for Best Actress (Volver), two European Film Award for Best Actress (Volver), two Goya Awards (the Spanish equivalent of the Oscars) for Best Leading Actress (Volver and Niña de tus ojos, La) and a Hollywood Film Festival Award for Actress of the Year.










Her nominations include an Academy Award (which made her the first Spanish Actress to be nominated for one), Golden Globe Award, Screen Actors Guild Award and BAFTA Award. She is a model for L'Oreal and its "Telescopic" mascara.









Personal Quotes:
"The most difficult thing in the world is to start a career known only for your looks, and then to try to become a serious actress. No one will take you seriously once you are known as the pretty woman."










"I'm strong and opinionated. Those qualities brought me a lot of problems since I was a little girl in school, saying 'I don't agree' and fighting with the children. It's part of my curiosity for life."










"I love the Italian culture, it's a beautiful culture. I love the language, the Italian people, their music, their attitudes...I just love it! Sometimes I think I'm an Italian trapped in a Spanish woman's body."








"You cannot live your life looking at yourself from someone else's point of view."










Cruz is one of the most sort-after Spanish actresses in the business today. This is a position that she has rightfully earned. Having her in a movie is almost an automatic guarantee of the success of that film. This is so because she has proven her worth since beginning her career in the film industry in 1991.










She's a super attractive, extremely talented and convicted, passionate, devoted, ultra sexy, strikingly gorgeous and extraordinarily hot Spanish beauty.






Now before I close let me draw one more thing to your attention. The Cruz come from some amazingly beautiful genes. As proof, I present to you Penelope and her sister Monica. Hot damn!!!