Thursday, February 14, 2008

Timeless Thursday: Gladys Knight



My first in what I intend to be a series of many more timeless treasures to come. I think it's quite fitting to kick it off with one of the greatest soul singers of all time, Miss Gladys Maria Knight.



Gladys is a singer, actor and author. She will be 64 years old in May but can still put it down as if she were 16 or even younger. She won the "Ted Mack & the Original Amateur Hour" at age 7, has more hits than I have time to mention and was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (as a member of Gladys Knight and the Pips) in 1996. Her career dates back to 1996. She began her solo career in 1978 when she released her album Miss Gladys Knight; she has 9 albums to date. She has won 7 Grammy awards and 7 American Music and 8 other miscellaneous awards (with the Pips and solo). The miscellaneous awards include a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1995 and A Lifetime Achievement award from BET in 2005.



Not only is she super talented, the woman is uber cool as well. There's proof positive of this in the fact that she appeared in Episode 210 of 30 Rock with the ultimate of cool women - Tina Fey. (I'm tempted throw in my Tina Fey cheer here but it would be weird to do my cheer in my own blog. Besides it's not about Tina Fey). An episode I was so happy to see and would have caused me to weep bitterly if I'd missed.



She's gorgeous, got a heart of gold, a humanitarian, one of the most powerfully soulful voices I've every heard, a gem and so much more. She's selfless; she's participated in numerous fundraisers to help the less fortunate and special worthy causes. I admire her beyond words and am looking forward to much more from her.