Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Whitney Is Well On Her Way Back



Whitney is my girl. I have no reservations about declaring this to the entire world. She's a diva; she's my diva. She's awesome. She's great. she's my girl. She was living the life back in the 80s. Her music career was soaring then. She was living the life, everything was great. The good christian girl; the pop princess, in 1989 met the rude boy of rude boys and of course with the opposite thing working she fell in love and got married.

Then in the 90s the acting career took off; yep she was living the dream. She had a beautiful daughter. Life was good. Or was it? The fairytale was taking a turn for the worse. It was all falling apart.


Yes she's had her share of troubles, we all know about them. It's no secret. The tragedy and scandals of her life have been displayed publicly for all to partake of. Her story is a sad. Her trials I find terribly painful to recall. She lost her pride, she lost her way, she lost way too much weight, she lost her dignity, she lost herself, she lost a child (miscarriage), she came close to losing her life. Too painful indeed.


In November 2001 when she, or what I can only describe as a skeletal structure of her, appeared to perform for Michael Jackson's 30th Anniversary, the world was shocked. I still get a bit queasy recalling it all. I was so fearful that she didn't have much of a chance to survive in the state she was in. It was scary.


But the very best part about it all is that my girl is on her way back. My girl, the queen of pop/R&B has been on a steady journey of self-restoration since 2006 and her progress is immense. She's steadily on her way back to her family, back to herself, back to her dedicated and devoted fans, back to me.


She's been through it. Like so many before her and so many yet to come, she's ran off the beaten path. She suffered through the marital, mental, physical, emotional and substance abuse. She lost her way.


When she filed for divorce (from he who's name shall never be mentioned on this blog) back in October 2006 after getting rehabilitated, I wanted to find a mountain top and bellow out the loudest Hallelujah I could muster. And when the divorce became final on 24 April, 2007 with her being granted custody of their daughter Bobbi Kristina (15 yrs old) another mountain was needed to belt out a very strong Amen.


Since then she's been on a steady positive path. She's even joined forces with Ne-Yo - the Prince of R&B, The One with the Midas Touch, The Gifted One to pen songs for her seventh Studio Album (aptly titled Undefeated). With such a combination, Ne-Yo's mad raw talent with Whitney's awesome powerful vocals, I have no doubt that this album won't be a disappointment. My girl may have lost a lot, but one thing's for sure, she hasn't lost even an inkling of her superb vocal skills.


In July of this year, one of the tracks (Like I Never Left) was leaked to the Internet and believe me, if that song is any indication of what's to come, then this album should do very well on the charts! You can bet your bottom dollar that my copy is gonna be pre-ordered. No doubt about it. Just say Whitney and I'm sold!


Besides being a incredible songstress, Whitney is also an actress, film producer, arranger and song writer. She's got four films to her credit; The Bodyguard (1992), Waiting to Exhale (1995), The Preacher's Wife (1996) and Cinderella (1997). She has produced Whitney Houston: Fine, The Princess Diaries, The Cheetah Girls (2003, 2004 & 2006) and The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement.


Whitney's talent sets her in a class all her own. This is evident by the fact that she holds the record of being the Most Awarded Female Artist of All Time according to the Guinness Book of World Records. Awards (local, regional and international) way too many to list here. These award include World Music, Grammy, NAACP, AMA, Billboard and BRIT awards just to name a few.


Houston is also a philanthropist supporting several organizations including the American Red Cross, a few charities in South Africa and Children's Defense Fund. The most notable of them though is The Whitney Houston Foundation For Children which she founded in 1989. The non-profit organization raises funds to support the needs of children around the world including the homelessness, children with cancer and AIDS as well as supports self-empowerment issues.


There's so much more I'd like to add but I've got to keep it short. Time does not permit. But let me just say this. Whitney, I'm exceedingly proud of you and have no doubt you'll be more than alright or OK. I know you'll be Just Fine!